Thursday, December 31, 2009

NYR #2

Gratitude and Purpose

Quite often at the beginning of yoga class the teacher will ask us to set an intention for the class. Usually my intention runs along the lines of "survive the class so I can get a cup of coffee afterwards" or "only swear on the inside when the pain sets in" or "do NOT roll your eyes every time she tells you to do a pose that is difficult."

But sometimes, before I can stop it, an actual intention comes into my head. Monday it was "gratitude and purpose." I don't know where it came from, but those two words did stick with me during class and for the next couple of days.

I'm trying very hard not to write down my usual resolutions like lose weight, go to bed early every night, not swear in front of my kids, etc. Even though of course I have every intention of starting a diet tomorrow and going to bed on time and reading instead of watching t.v. and never ever raising my voice to the kids. You get the idea.

I'm trying to dig a little deeper and find something solid to place the things I do on. I want to try and get past the surface and build a solid foundation for myself.

So resolution number two -- to approach every day, every moment with gratitude and purpose. No matter what it is I want to try and find something in each situation I can be grateful for. Even if it's pain or loneliness or fear. And to find the purpose in each moment. The deeper purpose, the reason I do the things I do -- whether they are the things I have to do or the things I want to do.

10 comments:

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

I love it. And I have a feeling that all the gratitude and purpose leads to that other stuff, but I might be jumping ahead here.

Best to you, my dear. Happy new year!

Mary Alice said...

I really, really, like that one. Would you mind if I borrowed it? Happy New Year.

Jen on the Edge said...

This is great!

Happy new year!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

For many years I have been in the habit of being truly grateful for the roof over my head, my warm bed and everyone safe and healthy--I think about this right before I fall asleep. It really does help.

flutter said...

blessings to you, beautiful lady

Anonymous said...

That's a cool idea.
My old yoga instructor started every class the same way--must be a yoga thing? That whole idea of "intention." I fear I approach things mostly by way of accident!

Texasholly said...

My intentions usually have to do with surviving to the end of the class which I really don't think is the intention intention.

V-Grrrl @ Compost Studios said...

That sense of being grounded and looking beyond the surface is so important. The older I get, the more I care about what lies beneath and holds me up.

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I like that a lot. They are two things we so often lose sight of...

JCK said...

Oy, so noble. So wonderful. So hard to do. For me, at least. But, I'm counting on YOU to do it, and tell us how it goes. :)